The League of Arab States, ESCWA and the Islamic Development Bank are organizing a side event at the UN 2023 Water Conference. The event showcases the Arab region efforts to transform the water sector and build cross-sectoral partnerships and highlights commitments made to the Water Action Agenda.
Particular emphasis is placed on the means of implementation for achieving water and related cross-sectoral goals in line with the regional priorities and accelerators set in the Arab regional preparatory meeting for the mid-term comprehensive review of the Water Action Decade in 2022. During the side event, ESCWA and the League of Arab States are announcing the Arab Initiative for Mobilizing Climate Finance for Water (AIM Climate Finance for Water), which aims to support regional and global commitments to increase climate finance for the water sector.
Ministers attending the event include:
- Mr. Walid Fayad, Minister of Energy and Water, Lebanon
- Mr. Mazen Ghoneim, Head of the Palestinian Water Authority, State of Palestine
- Mr. Dawelbeit AbdelRahman, Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources, the Sudan
- Mr. Tawfiq Al-Sharjabi, Minister of Water and Environment, Yemen
- Mr. Hani Sweilam, Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation, Egypt
- Mr. Nizar Baraka, Minister of Equipment and Water and President of the International Network of Basin Organizations, Morocco
- Mr. Abdulaziz Alshaibani, Deputy Minister for Water, Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture, Saudi Arabia